Ministry Of Works And Transport

Transport Division

Road Safety is Everyone's Priority: Be Responsible


70% VLT

Front Windscreen

35 % VLT

AntiGlare Band Visor

35% VLT

Front Windows

20% VLT

Rear Windows & Windscreen


Frequently Asked Questions 


The following documents are required:

The applicant must be at least seventeen (17) years of age, in order to successfully register or transfer a vehicle.

In case of the death of the registered owner of a motor vehicle, the legal heir or any other person into whose possession the vehicle shall lawfully come, for the purpose of transfer must apply in person to the Transport Commissioner who will advise on the appropriate steps to be taken in each case.

The required documents are as follows:
a). Death Certificate
b). Two forms of Identification: ID/Driver's Permit/Passport
c). Original and copies of the Letter of Administration or Probate of Will 
d). Certified Copy of Ownership (Not older than three (3) years)
e). Insurance in the new owner's /applicant’s name
f). Receipt for sale based on double transfer

Transfer of a vehicle upon the death of the registered owner of the vehicle under Doctrine of Survivorship

  • Death Certificate
  • Certified copy of ownership (Not older than 3 years )
  • Two (2) Forms of Identification
  • Insurance in the new owner's name
  • Statutory Declaration

*The vehicle to be transferred must be brought to the Licensing compound.

Transfer Fee Ten dollars and
Transfer Tax:-
Under 2 years                          -                           $6,000.00
2 - 5 years                               -                           $4,500.00
5 - 7 years                               -                           $3,000.00
7 - 10 years                             -                           $1,350.00
Over ten years                         -                           $150.00
The V.A.T is payable by V.A.T registered companies.
For used motor cycles not exceeding 250 cc the transfer fee is:      $150.00
For used motor cycles exceeding 250 cc the transfer fee id:            $300.00


Certified Copies cost $100.0


  • At the time of publication, 60.4% of all cases filed at the Magistrates’ Courts were Traffic cases.

  • Traffic cases filed over the 2018-2019 law term (September 2018 to June 2019) stood at 85,187 new cases, with over 19,000 of those cases (20.2% of all matters, and the largest share) filed at the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court.

  • Under the law at that time, when a police officer or other designated authority issued a Fixed PenaltyTraffic Ticket, the Ticket indicated the fine for the offence, and that fine had to be paid at the courthouse within the district where the alleged offence occurred.

  • In the event of default of payment, a date was given for the alleged offender to appear before the Traffic Court, again within the said district.

  • As a result of the inconvenience to drivers, court lists were saturated with traffic cases due to unpaid tickets, and those cases continue to clog the system with backlog, due to non appearance of drivers at court.

  • Additionally, this system meant that the Courts had the responsibility of collecting and processing traffic related payments on behalf of the state.


  • In 2017, the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act (Amendment) was enacted, and the Judiciary entered into a collaborative working relationship with a team comprising representatives of the Ministry of Works and Transport, the Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Legal Affairs, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, TTPost and other stakeholders, to implement a new traffic system.

  • Under the new legislation, matters will only reach the court’s list when a motorist decides to contest a Ticket or charge, and files a Notice to Contest. This allows the Judiciary to concentrate on its core function, which is adjudicating where disputes arise.


  • The UTurn software provides real time connectivity among the Judiciary, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, the Licensing Authority, TTPost and the new Traffic Management Center.

  • The interface allows a motorist to file a Notice to Contest on-line, upon answering three short questions.

  • This triggers scheduling of the matter on the court’s list, and the motorist receives a court date and location, as well as a video conferencing link if it is required.

  • Upon completion of a matter, the perfected court order will be dispatched from our court case management system via the UTurn interface, to the Traffic Enforcement Center.

Widespread Benefits

  • Customers will no longer have to endure the inconvenience of possibly taking time off from work to go back to the district where the offence alleged occurred, as they can pay their fines at any TTPost location.

  • They can also file their Notice to Contest from any location on-line.

  • The court system benefits by only having to deal with matters where a genuine dispute arises.

  • Evidence and all supporting documents are now securely transmitted through a secured link, between and among the respective agencies.





The time is now for the transformation and modernization of the Licensing Division through the use of modern technology. With the introduction of the Demerit Points System, a Red-Light Camera Enforcement System and a new Traffic Ticketing System, the Licensing Division required ground-breaking transformation of its business processes and services, to improve its efficiency to meet growing customer demands.
The Ministry of Works and Transport will operationalize the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic (Amendment) Act, No. 9 of 2017 by launching a software management system called the 
UTURN System. UTURN will digitize many of the business processes and services of the Licensing Division by making transactions faster and easier.

With over one (1) million registered vehicles and 800,000 authorised drivers, it is no longer ‘business as usual’ at the Licensing Division. This operational transformation is needed, to accommodate the demands of the new progressive legislative initiatives, as well as an increasing number of daily transactions.


The Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act was amended in 2017, and brought the Judiciary, representatives of the Ministry of Works and Transport, the Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Legal Affairs, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, TTPost and other stakeholders into a collaborative working relationship, to implement a new traffic system.

The Demerit Points System – utilised to monitor, track and improve the road behaviour of drivers, was conceived and implemented as a part of this transformative traffic system.


The red-light camera system is a road safety technology which provides 24-hour monitoring of an intersection for red light breaches by motorists. When a vehicle is captured breaching the red light, a photograph and video recording are electronically transferred to the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC), where a team of highly trained and certified analysts and inspection officers will review the footage to determine and confirm whether a breach of the red-light traffic signal did occur. Once determined and confirmed, a citation notice will be generated and delivered to you via TTPOST courier service.

There are currently two online services available at this time: The Vehicle Online Verification System and the Driver's Permit Validation System. The two online systems can be accessed via this link


new online Provisional permit system


Media Centre


Customer Care Centre

All other enquiries, complaints, compliments and suggestions relating to the services provided by the Transport Division can be addressed to:

The Transport Commissioner

Transport Division Licensing Offices

Frederick Settlement, Caroni Tel. (868) 612-4682
San Fernando
Balisier Avenue, Pleasantville, San Fernando Tel. (868) 657-7451
Milford Road, Scarborough Tel. (868) 639-2466

Licensing Sub Offices

Ministry of Works and Transport Compound O'Meara Road, Arima Tel. (868) 667-0172
Eastern Main Road, Sangre Grande
Point Fortin
62-64 Main Road, Point Fortin Tel. (868) 648-2865
Port of Spain
Wrightson Road, Port of Spain Tel. (868) 625-1031
Princes Town
LP 235 Iere Village, Princes Town Tel. (868) 655-8871