Construction Works on Phase One of the Diego Martin Vehicular Overpass and Related Road Improvements Project Has Begun!
The Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, through the Ministry of Works and Transport (MOWT) will improve the roadway infrastructure in the vicinity of Western Main Road and Diego Martin Highway intersection.
Project Update: Phase One - Piling on the west abutment is in Progress!
- Works officially started on Monday 22nd March, 2021.
- Piling works are expected to be completed in one week.
- The overall duration of the project is approximately 18 months
The Scope of Works for the Diego Martin Vehicular Overpass entail:
• Construction of a vehicular overpass with the necessary connector roads and ramps.
• Road improvements to the intersection of Western Main Road and Columbus Boulevard.
• New sidewalks and enhanced safety features.
• Drainage improvements (construction of new culverts, replacement of existing culverts, cleaning of drains).
• New pavement construction and all necessary earthworks, bridge construction, geotechnical works, drainage, lighting, barriers and landscaping.
When completed, the project will provide the following benefits to residents and surrounding communities:
1) Improved road safety in the area along the Diego Martin Highway/ Western Main Road Intersection.
2) Improved access to the area in light of the proposed development in the vicinity.
3) Alleviated congestion in the area.
4) Alleviated flooding and improve drainage in the area.
5) Eliminated motor vehicle and pedestrian conflicts.
6) Improved transportation infrastructure and connectivity between Port of Spain and the North Western Peninsula Region.