THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A FISHING FACILITY AND ITS ASSOCIATED INFRASTRUCTURE AND APPURTENANCES AT GRAN CHEMIN, MORUGA (ONSHORE COMPONENT)
The Coastal Protection Unit, Ministry of Works and Transport together with the National Infrastructure Development Company, began the process of constructing a fishing facility at Gran Chemin Village, Moruga. The scope of the project consists of constructing an onshore facility that will be located approximately 30 metres away from the existing Gran Chemin Fishing Facility. The facility would be designed to accommodate the use of approximately 91 vessels.
The project is currently in its pre-construction/ design stage.
SCOPE OF WORKS
* Erection of a single storey building to house the fishing facility. This will include the construction of reinforced concrete frame, structural steel roof, store and block wall enclosure, internal finishes for locker rooms, cold storage, repair areas as well as for wholesale and retail sales.
* Construction of a pre-stressed piled foundation to support building structure; Site works including paving, drainage and ancillary structures and MEP works including a Waste Water Treatment Plant and Fuel Storage and supply
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THIS PROJECT:
The exisiting Gran Chemin Fishing Facility in Moruga has been in existence for over 30 years. This facility currently caters to 43 vessels and consists of a vessel repair shed, a locker room area and net repair area. Presently the facility faces a number of issues including:
* Inadequate facilities for fisher folk; inadequate locker rooms, no washrooms, no vending area, no storage area for fish, lack of amenities for berthing of vessels
* Structural failure; foundation is being undermined; roof is not secure and corroding
* Insufficient fuel supply for vessel from village gas station
* Flooding of facility during high tide.