On Wednesday 29th April, 2020, the Ministry of achieved a milestone by successfully completing the infrastructural works and officially launching Phase one of the Curepe Interchange Project.
RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY
On Wednesday 29th April, 2020, Senator the Honourable Rohan Sinanan, Minister of Works and Transport and officials of National Infrastructure Development company Limited (NIDCO) officially opened Phase 1 of the Curepe Interchange Project at a ribbon cutting ceremony that was held on site of the newly completed works. At the ceremony, the signalized traffic signals were decommissioned. This project is viewed as a milestone as it contributes to the expansion of the highway network that will create increased inter-connectivity between rural and urban communities; and ease traffic congestion in Trinidad and Tobago. The Curepe Interchange Project also known as The Churchill Roosevelt Highway (CRH/Southern Main Road Curepe (SMR) Curepe Flyover and Ancillary Works is the current phase of the interchange improvement projects being implemented as part of the larger East West Corridor expansion and Improvement Works Programme.
View the Photo Gallery
SCOPE OF WORKS
The scope of works entailed:
• Construction of an overpass with two clover leaf sections at the intersection of the CRH and SMR, Curepe and other ramps
• Widening and realignment of the CRH to accommodate six lanes and frontage roads north and south of the CRH, and
• Construction of a roundabout in the south-eastern quadrant near Kay Donna and realignment of the Southern Main Road This project will bring relief to thousands of motorists who travel along the CRH daily.
KEY BENEFITS OF THE PROJECT
• Reduction in traffic congestion
• Increased capacity on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway
• Improved access to / from adjacent communities
• Improved safety for vehicles
• Improved pedestrian accessibility and safety
• Reduced road user cost The MOWT is committed to closing the transportation infrastructure gap by paving the way towards a sustainable future.
CUREPE INTERCHANGE ROUTE SIMULATION
It is equally important to the Ministry that citizens /commuters are aware of the new traffic flows /navigation routes.
Here's an animated video that can assist you. We encourage you to share with others.
PROPOSED TRAFFIC RELIEF
Phase two of the project is expected to be completed in two weeks